Saturday, August 21, 2010

a lesson

so...you know when babies reach that stage and people say, "they're into everything?" and they say it like it's funny. it may be funny after you've gotten some distance on it, but in the midst of having a baby who is into everything it can be trying at times. especially when you pick up the SAME toys 15 times. and you pick up the SAME garbage 15 times because your kid keeps pulling it out of the trash can. i am constantly spinning my wheels, i can't get new tasks done because i keep repeating the same old ones. {i will interject here that now that i stay at home i feel like a failure if i don't keep a clean house. no one puts this pressure on me but myself, but i feel like it's my job and i'm a loser if i don't do it,,,and i never do!}
this brings me to the lesson...
today i was just thinking about how i keep having to go back to square one time and time again in the same day. and the Lord spoke to me as clear as i've ever heard him. he said, you know how you keep picking up those toys, that garbage, etc...and every time he pulls it out you just pick it up and keep on going. you never think about NOT picking it up or not loving william anymore do you? me: of course not, i'll just keep picking up after him and love the little stinker anyway. God: that's what i do for you every day too. you keep sinning (in my attitude, the way i handle things, speak to my family, fail to extend grace- pulling out the same old garbage!) and i  keep picking up after you, forgiving you...tidying up the sin-strewn living room floor of your heart. and i'll just keep on doing it until you get it right. whoa. it stopped me in my tracks! i marvel at the way God, infinitely wise, can use the thorn in my side to parallel His love for me. now it doesn't seem like a thorn at all. now as i pick up after that sweet baby i'll be reminded that i'm forgiven and my slate is wiped clean. that He is refining me like silver so that somewhere, sometime He'll be able to see a glimpse of his reflection in me.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Deidre, that is beautiful! I think maybe it's just what I needed. Hopefully I can apply it to my interactions with my own little stinker. Thank you for sharing!

Kevin, Kara, Kolton, & Kannon said...

Thanks for sharing! I really needed to hear that!

Ashley said...

amen sister!

The Nelsons said...

Oh how wonderful! That just blessed me this morning and I REALLY needed that! Thank you!

Angie Haraway said...

Such a wonderful example!! Thanks for sharing. I needed that reminder too!

Marguerite said...

Deidre - Thanks for sharing what God is teaching you. I really needed that! I have enjoyed reading your blog. I don't update mine as often as you do but if you like to follow blogs, my blog is margueritecameron.blogspot.com

Take care - Marguerite