Monday, June 13, 2011

feathering our nest

 when we moved, all of our existing furniture would literally fit in one room of the new house, so we've been adding a few things here and there. i've been taking my time, living in the spaces to see if i'd like art or photographs, ottoman/no ottoman, etc.. which i hope will keep me from making costly mistakes, such as the banana boat. (our sofa which i will address in the future) about a month ago we got 2 comfy chairs for the family room. then my brother helped me pick 2 pillows and a beautiful alabaster lamp to accessorize. i'm ready to accessorize but i'm learning that in designer world, they will NOT accessorize your space until all furniture is in place. so it still looks pretty sparse in here, but i'm living with it. then hopefully i'll be able to live by the statement that some famous designer made: don't live with anything you don't find to be beautiful or useful.
one of the 2 new chairs, pillows, and the lamp in the background. and for now i've hung 3 black and white pictures of the children over the washstand. that was the 1st antique piece of furniture my mother ever bought. so it is special and will always be in our home somewhere. there's also rug sample on the floor back there that we're thinking about. btw: curtains are also in the future. also, that little metal table was only $70 at a cute store here called @home. that's my kind of end table!
mary martin and william planted these zinnia seeds a while back and BOY have they grown! george robert said they didn't stand a chance because william kept raking and shoveling over them. but thankfully zinnias are hardy and now they're as tall as william! we also have tomatoes back there, so plenty of blt's in our future. and this year i am going to make a tomato pie, i always mean to but never do.
the best 99 cents ever spent. i love the colors. they say if you cut them it encourages new growth but i still am very conservative with my cutting because they look so pretty. that's all for now, we have a fun project in the works for the living room i hope to share soon!

3 comments:

Konie said...

beautiful zinnia's!!! I think I'll plant some next year! Just catching up on my blogs. Been a busy busy month and a half. Love your chair and pillow:) WHEW.....sometimes being patient is hard....but it usually DOES save you some money in the long run. You don't replace what you hurredly bought:))) Loved the tractor party too!! You are so creative!!

Keeping Up With The Klusmanns said...

LOVE your decor! I think I'm going to have to look for the LEE chairs! You have such a good eye. I think you missed your calling...you should have been a designer!

A Perfect Gray said...

beautiful. a friend of mine grows zinnias and always has the best arrangements...

thanks so much for visiting me and helping me to identify a photo. I have gotten the credit up! thanks a million! donna